Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day -1: Time to Start

The city has been walked, pizza has been inhaled, beers have been imbibed, and tomorrow morning at 10:00 myself and eight other trainees ascend into madness.

The nine of us finally met at the 5:00 Blue Man Group show this afternoon at the Astor Place Theatre. It's a great group of guys. Everyone has strong personalities that will be a ton of fun to work with in the coming weeks, and the camaraderie has already taken root.

New York is an overwhelming city in every possible sense of the word. It's hard not to get distracted by everything that sweeps by on the streets and subway platforms. Lots of smells, about half of them pleasant; restaurants abound like I've never seen; and they've apparently figured out how to immediately force a ton of crystal meth into the system of anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car. Taxis are particularly tweaked. All things considered, the city is vibrant in a near-threatening way. No matter, though. I'm here to work.

There's not much that I can skillfully impart here about how it feels to be on the eve of the biggest opportunity of my life, but I will say this: I'm ready. It all starts in twelve hours.

As a Coors Light ad on the subway said: "Go Blue or Go Home."





Oh, also, I just shaved my beard and can't stop touching my face.

View from the High Line.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully the smell* of city trash weakens as the colder months settle in. Good luck, blue man!

    *or should I say taste, blech

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, pretty good DAY ONE post. Can't wait to read the rest. And I have to let you know how envious I am of you! ... You have a photo from THE Highline!!!! I've been wanted to go to the highline for ages!!! so jealous that you've gotten to explore one of the most famous landscape architecture/public spaces to be designed in the 21st century... (oh and the thing you're training for out there is pretty cool too.) haha

    ;] have a great time man.

    ReplyDelete